Re: [T3] T3 SQUAREBACK LIFTING

<x-flowed>Actually, I almost never lift both wheels at once, preferring to just jack up one at a time under the spring plate as you say. But most folks just stick the jack under the engine and lift the whole car, so the warning on possible CV damage you gave isn't often heeded by others. I don't like to jack under the engine, it puts strain on the case and the engine mounts, so the cross member or chassis fork is better. I don't think the CV joints come to any harm by this as the dynamics of bouncing over rough ground where a wheel can drop to the bump stop are surely more excessive than a slow jack lift.
Chris

Dave Hall wrote:

Careful!  With CV joint rear axle NEVER jack under the transmission, you can
bend the output shaft as the two ends are fixed and you are pushiung up the
centre with 60% of the car's weight.   I don't know if this is a problem with
the swing-axle version.

I favour the spring plates for the trolley jack, then support under the rear
subframe or shock-absorber lower mounts.

In my opinion the best place for the jack to lift both back wheels (a

medium sized trolley jack is preferable) is under the cross member
between the chassis forks.

That's OK but only for swing-axles.  It can bend the cross member if you're
brutal!  In front of the front gearbox mount is OK too, but you're close to the
balance point!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/