Re: [T3] FUEL GAGE ISSUE

<x-rich>Many thanks to all for their answers to my questions.

I took the sender apart, saw wires intact and, using my Fluke meter,
was expecting resistance change while moving the float. The resistance
around 12 MEGOHMS did not change. There was zero ohms measured between
the terminal (to which the wire connecting the sender and the gage is
attached), but same 12 MEGOHMS between the the sender flange and the
flat phosphorous copper stamping-spring to which the thin wire is
soldered. That did indicate that there was no conductivity there.

I am good at fine soldering and soon a thin copper wire connected the
rod on which the float slides and the stamping.

Now my meter did read 2 ohms at the float upper position and 84 ohms
at the float lower position!

Re-assembled the sender and the dash fuel gage is in business now.

I hope my experience will help someone with same problem. There are
probably other solutions and I will be grateful to learn about them.

I wondered not once about some German engineers lack of knowing simple
facts. Dissimilar metals, when connected, do create a galvanic pair
which, outside of other effects, always develop corrosion between
them. Sender, where phosphorous stamping was sandwiched to the zink
containing flange, is an excellent example - a BUBU, as we, engineers,
call it.

Ark Mirvis

</fontfamily>