Re: [T3] Testing out a coil, car not starting

Dave Hall wrote:
> If the dwell meter stays at zero, the points must be open circuit all the time,
> or not seeing the voltage at all.  Effectively it reads the difference between
> 12V and the average voltage between the two parts of the points.
> (have I got that right? - think so).
>
> Is the green wire between terminal 1 and the condensor and points intact?

Yup, and again, dwell meter works fine when manually operating the
points- it moves side to side.
> When cranking do the points open and close?

Yep
> Put your voltmeter between the two parts of the points and see what it reads as
> the points open and close, both manually and with cranking.

Haven't done this while cranking, but putting the voltmeter to the #1
terminal of the coil and ground while manually actuating the points
makes the voltage swing back and forth.
> Have you checked the engine earth lead, a thick braid attached to the frame at
> the front of the gearbox.

I'm going to look at this. However, wouldn't it be the case that if
something were wrong with this ground, the starter wouldn't turn over
either?
> Does the baseplate stay earthed while cranking?

Which baseplate? The points baseplate in the distributor?
> Try a separate earth lead on the distributor.

I'll give this a try too.
> Hotwire the coil + (terminal 15) from another place - maybe the starter switch
> is turning off the ignition!  Though if you're monitoring volts there, it can't
> be that.

Right. I considered this, and indeed I get voltage on this side while
cranking.
> Current for a while then none is beginning to sound like a bad connection
> somewhere.

And only while cranking the starter, it would seem.