Re: [T3] Testing out a coil, car not starting

If the dwell meter stays at zero, the points must be open circuit all the time,
or not seeing the voltage at all.  Effectively it reads the difference between
12V and the average voltage between the two parts of the points.
(have I got that right? - think so).

Is the green wire between terminal 1 and the condensor and points intact?

When cranking do the points open and close?
Put your voltmeter between the two parts of the points and see what it reads as
the points open and close, both manually and with cranking.

Have you checked the engine earth lead, a thick braid attached to the frame at
the front of the gearbox.
Does the baseplate stay earthed while cranking?
Try a separate earth lead on the distributor.
Hotwire the coil + (terminal 15) from another place - maybe the starter switch
is turning off the ignition!  Though if you're monitoring volts there, it can't
be that.

Current for a while then none is beginning to sound like a bad connection
somewhere.

Dave (very puzzled!).
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/