Re: [T3] Power Bleeders

<x-flowed>Speaking of power bleeders, I was faced with trying to use one today. On my 412 wagon one caliper had a stuck piston so I needed to overhaul it.

Side note for people wanting to rebuild theirs: The 412 has an ATE unit with a piston on each side of the caliper, I do believe (but am not sure) the Type 3 uses a similar or maybe even same unit. Since original rebuild kits for the 412 were no longer available (surprise surprise) I ordered a kit for the ATE caliper found on Super Beetles. The main piece, the sealing ring, seems to be the same. The outside rubber seal seemed a tick short as far as possible outward piston travel goes, but it does fit. The only item not fitting at all was the metal plate that is supposed to prevent the pistons from turning, so I re-used the old one.

Anyway, I was faced with a really modern bleeder that works by pumping fluid at pressure into the overflow container or, alternatively, by applying suction at the bleeder nipple end. Putting pressurized fluid into the system did not work because the cap with inlet I used was home made (none of the "real" adapters fit) and leaked fluid. The suction method worked, but unfortunately it was impossible to tell whether the air in the clear hose from the rubber suction adapter on the bleeder was from the brake system or from the fact that the rubber adapter really did not seal well enough (or maybe sucked in through the bleeder threads). So I resorted to a very simple method that does not require any fancy bleeder: Using the same home-made cap with inlet-adapter that leaked pressurized fluid, I simply connected pressurized air that came through a pressure regulator which limited it to 1/2 bar. Easy-peasy after that, you just need to watch the fluid level to make sure you don't end up pushing air into the brake lines.

jens