From: BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com [mailto:BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:35 AM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] MVVC Show

In a message dated 5/23/06 8:40:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
topnotch@nycap.rr.com writes:

<< Sorry to hear about your trouble, at least it wasn't the T4 that you had
 some money into!  Raby says he solved the cam problem but is running solid
 lifters.

 Sounds like you had a piston burn though, excessive pressure in the case
 pumps the oil out the back of the engine where there is no seal, Ive had
 this happen but caught it right away and was still able to drive several
 hours on 3 cylinders with the bad cyl injector unplugged. Perhaps you got
 something into the oil?  You weren't using Synthetic by chance were you?

 Bummer! >>

That's the thing, I really don't have a lot of money tied up into either
one.
The T-4 was literally given to me, but it had never been run (but had a
fresh
rebuild), and the T-3 motor was built with both new and good used parts I
had
laying around, mostly from my t-1 days, but also from helping clean out
other
peoples stashes of parts. I got to thinking about that engine this evening,
and I'm thinking it might have been one of the "resized" rods (they were
still
in their box) that might have been what let go. I still haven't torn it
down,
as I've got a few other things going on at the moment. Probably over the
weekend it'll get autopsied. The t-4 will also get torn down, after I order
a cam
and a set of lifters from Raby (Web 73 cam as it's compatible with the
D-jet)
and get rebuilt. I'd rather have solid lifters anyway, as I like to know
what's
going on in there (allows you to keep an eye on valve stem stretch).

If it was a burned piston, then the only change from last year was
converting
to FI from carbs, as that was the ONLY change. :O I used the same type of
oil
(weights and brand (dino type)), good 93 octane fuel (bought where I
normally
buy it), and I didn't even pull the valve covers from last year (still had
those settings). Also, if anything, it should have been running rich due to
using the t-4 FI set up (brain and matching MPS) with the t-3 injectors. At
least
that's what I've been told should happen with that set up, and it was due to

the high fuel consumption, although part of that could have been from being
topless. ; ) I guess I'll have to pull it and open it up to end the
speculation.
Thanks for the concern and thoughts about the failure. I'd really like to
know
what actually caused it, so it'll have to wait until the weekend for me to
really find out.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof and IRS (Krusty)
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at;
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977 and now has a dead T-3
with D-jet FI
engine. : (