Re: [T3] steering/brake squeak

On 20 May 2006 at 5:59, Will McCreight wrote:

> Jim, it is a 1970 SQ FI, and so far, I haven't had time to check
> anything, just asking more or less "what it might be, and what to
> check", then reviewing the Bentley manual to determine how complex the
> check/repair might be.  I am acquiring tools as I go along, and hate to
> get into something that leaves me stranded if I am unable to complete
> due to lack of ability or equipment.

I think all of us feel exactly the same way, so you're doing exactly
the right thing by getting yourself prepared.

> The business of checking the bearings looks straightforward enough,
> though when they get out a special gauge, and start looking for
> tolerances of tenths of a millimeter, as I recall, I realize that I
> could grind to a halt there.  What I imagine doing is feeling for
> roughness, freeplay, etc., then tightening down the controlling nut
> (can't imagine my problem is the bearing being too tight, only too
> loose) a scootch, and eventually arriving at "just right" by feel ( I am
> a much experienced bicycle mechanic by hobby, but relative newbie to
> cars, at least at this level)

You'll need a 6mm Allen wrench, but that's also a common bicycle
size, so that should be no problem. The gauge is nice, but not
necessary. If you just adjust them until there is a barely
perceptable amount of play (check it in 4 different 90 degree
rotations) then that will be fine. The important thing is that there
must always be at least SOME play.

With a '71 you should not have the wrong bearing possibility.