Re: [T3] Valve stem seals ?

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 22:55, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 7 May 2006 at 3:14, Russ Wolfe wrote:
>
> > BTW Jim, You don't know everything.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly, but I'm just not convinced on this issue.
>
> I understand that your official VW training taught you that these
> were there to push oil into the valve guides, but why would VW need
> to push oil into their valve guides when every other engine maker
> goes to great lengths to seal oil out?
Because they were wearing exhaust valve guides, and breaking valves.
They wanted more lubrication into the valve stems.

> In addition, it seems to me that the source of the oil is at the stem
> end of the valve (where it's deposited from the rocker arm) so oil
> would have to climb over this "seal" to get to where it could be
> pushed into the guide. OTOH, I would agree that there's probably
> plenty of oil mist around there, especially at high RPM.
This seal did NOT sit next to the end of the guide. It sat about the
distance of the valve lift away from the end of the guide.

> I agree that the parts list description of "ring - oil deflector"
> really doesn't resolve the question.
And, If we found one in the oil sump, VW would not pay warranty to
replace it. They themselves were admitting in a way that they didn't
work, and were not worth replacing.

> I know several competent engine people, and I'll try to remember to
> ask them what they think about the advantages/disadvantages of oil
> in valve guides.
If you have ever rebuilt a VW head, you would see the wear that is in a
later model heads Exhaust guide. And there is very little wear in the
intake guides.
If you want to stop oil from going into the valve guides, you have to
seal the between the valve stem, and valve guide. VW wasn't doing this.
they were trying to push oil towards the guide.
--
Russ Wolfe
'71 FB AT