[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] Valve stem seals ?

On 6 May 2006 at 15:00, Matthew Jones wrote:

> I have 4 square section fibre washers in my pile of dirty valve parts,  
> and I can't remember which valves they came off. All the books (and  
> this list's archive) simply mention "the seals" and seem to assume  
> there are 8. And in my full seal kit, there are 4 little rubber  
> O-rings which have the right I.D., but somehow this doesn't seem right.

Our engines originally came with 8 of the square section valve stem 
"seals." For some reason, the engine gasket sets don't include 
replacements for these. I have them, but you should be able to find a 
shop locally which has them. Replace your old ones if they are hard 
enough that you can't squeeze them without breaking them.

You probably only have 4 of them because the other 4 fell apart and 
came out with oil changes over the past 30 years. This is VERY 

The little round section O-rings go under the rocker shaft stands, 
around the studs.

>  From what I read in the archive, the "seals" are actually for  
> scraping a bit of oil INTO the guide, so I'd guess they should go on  
> the exhaust valves.

I THINK they are intended to serve as oil slingers. Most of the oil 
comes down from the rocker onto the end of the valve stem, so this 
interruption on the shaft prevents excess oil from running on down 
and into the valve guide where it might get too hot and gum up.
Jim Adney, jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]