Re: [T3] Brake switches broke

<x-flowed>At 09:45 PM 6/25/2006, Jim Adney said:
>On 25 Jun 2006 at 18:02, Nico Tewinkel wrote:
>
>> I still very clearly remember Jim talking about how both his brake
>> sensor switches failed at the same time, leaving him with no brake
>> lights and no warning light to tell him about it.
>
>> Well, the same just happened to me!
>
>It's not that they actually fail at the same time, it's that they are
>redundant so everything appears to be working fine until the second
>one fails. All we know now is that both of yours have failed.
>
>> I had noticed the warning light coming on a month or so ago, but it
>> went out the next time I used it, so I assumed (hoped) it was a
>> glitch. But I guess the second switch failed shortly after the first.
>
>It probably WAS a glitch. The usual failure mode doesn't cause any
>reaction from the warning light.

I just got in the habit of checking my brakes when I go to my bank. I use their plate glass window as a mirror. Easier to do that routinely than remember to ask someone to stand back there and check for me.

>> So that means I have to go underneath again to replace that one thing
>> I didn't replace when I replaced the brake system last year!
>
>;-)
>
>> Just to double check - since these are on the master cylinder, I
>> assume I have to bleed the entire system again, right?
>
>You really don't have to. Get all your parts down there and ready to
>go. Have the replacement in your hand as the old one comes out, and
>tip the new one into position so that the fluid running out bleeds
>any bubble out the top of the port as that part of the nipple goes in
>last. Tighten and you're done.

So, do you have any tips on cleaning those 3 way plugs? When I redid my switches a couple years ago I had a difficult time cleaning them.
--
Michael Cecil
macecil@comcast.net