From: John Jaranson [mailto:jaransonT3@comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 10:56 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Sophy's Invasion Shake-down Run

On Jun 25, 2006, at 8:02 PM, Keith Park wrote:

> I have no idea why one cyl is low on my Notchback eather, Ive chosen to
> ignore it.  The square always had a couple that were lower than the
> others,
> they float around a bit but its never been a problem,  Did you CC the
> heads?
> Perhaps its something with that.

I cc'd the heads when I built the engine and ended up shimming the 3/4
side to get the compression the same on both sides.   3/4 were close to
each other and 1/2 were also.  There was just a little difference
between 3/4 and 1/2.

> The Cofap cylinders that I used in my Square also had that streaky
> look when
> they had 44K on them, they are still going strong at 101K  Things look
> fine,
> had this cyl always been low or is this the first compression check?

Cylinders were within 5 lbs of each other when the engine was fresh.
And have stayed pretty consistent any of the other times it was
checked.

What I have done this evening was run a hone in the offending cylinder,
wirebrushed the carbon off the valves, lapped the valve and the seats,
and put the head back with a fresh bead of hi-temp silicone and torqued
everything.

Jim Adney wrote:

> I'm puzzled. Everything I see in the photos looks okay to me. You can
> check the valve guides for wear, just to make sure the valves are
> seating properly.
>
> Were the head studs tight? What I can see of the cylinder sealing
> area doesn't look like it was leaking.

Everything was tight.  The only odd thing I found, and I doubt that it
is related, is that I had forgotten to put the rocker arm stub seals in
the last time.  They are there now.

I have a few other things I want to take care of while the engine is
out then I will filler up with oil and check the compression and see if
it has helped.  If not, I will just run it and see what happens.  Don't
know what else to do. <G>

Later,
John Jaranson
'66 Square (Sophy)
'70 Fasty (Jane 2 - Type 3 Lead Sled wannabe)
'71 Fasty (Jane -parts car due to rust)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/carartbyjohn/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/jaransonT3/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/2006Invasion/