[T3] samandali wants a mint sqbk

<x-flowed>thank you I truly appreciate the input
allison

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] Are Kumho's the ONLY tires left?

On 22 Jun 2006 at 18:48, Samandali wrote:

Hi Keith: I get copied on all the chatter about type III's, and I need a VW
enthusiast's opinion.. There is a 69 squareback in museum condition in
illinois i was considering buying. It is very expensive, they are asking
$12900, but i was considering offering $9000 because of the exceptional
condition. I spoke to a local VW shop (san diego county) and they said to
contact enthuiasts such as yourself to get your opinion. It is a 1600
engine and it is automatic. The person I talked to said I would probably
never find parts for an automatic. She said I could convert (in the future)
to std transmission if I could ever find a pan that was in perfect condition
to do a ___?? I can't remember what she called it. Could you please call
me, or leave me your number, or type me a note?

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/3/9/83855039.htm

It's best to change the subject line when you start a new topic. Keeps the archives from getting confused.

The type 3 automatic is generally quite durable, so it is unlikely
that you would ever need major parts. Minor parts and complete good
used ATs are fairly readily available, especially in San Diego.
Trying to change it over to a manual would be a MAJOR job.

I would be skeptical about a $13k square in Illinois. Chances are
that it is not as nice as the owner thinks it is, and it's probably
had a lot of "improvements" done to it that only the present owner
appreciates. You need to find a disinterested, and type 3
knowledgable, third party who would be willing to look at it for you
and give you an honest opinion.

For comparison, I bought a beautiful, almost mint, AT '71 squareback
about 2 years ago for $4400. Then I had to replace tires, completely
go over the brake system, and put the car back together in ways that
the previous owner had no clue were wrong.