Re: [T3] Headliner Installation

In a message dated 6/4/06 11:29:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rdavid@rochester.rr.com writes:

<< To watch someone do a headliner install (even thought
 they did a bug) was well worth it. That and reading all the threads on here
 and the Samba gave me the determination to do it myself...(sorry bobnotch, I
 know you are not a fan of headliner installations, but this being my first,
 I didn't have a sunroof to worry about!)
 I am impressed with the quality of the liner, pretty strong stuff! Last
 night, I attached it by gluing at the front windshield....strung out all the
 bows, making sure I installed them EXACTLY where the factory bows were
 (don't mix them up 'cause they ARE different lengths).....then stretched it
 front to back (like they say), then glued it and let it sit overnight. Today
 I got out my old hair dryer and took my sweet time gluing the sides
 on....started at the passenger seat and worked forward (both sides), then
 going back to the passenger seat and worked backwards. It took me all
 afternoon to do that stage of the install today, so I'll work on the window
 posts during the week.....but they will be easy to do now that the liner is
 in.
 The video showing installation on a early bug showed doing the window posts
 first, then the headliner goes in last so it overlaps the post material at
 the top....but on my T3, the headliner was put in first with the post
 material overlapping the headliner where they meet, so I am putting it back
 that way.....I hope this is the correct way the factory did it on a
 T3....but if not, oh well, that's the way I'm doing it...I'm already
 committed! >>

Sounds like you did a good job. I'm not against doing a headliner (I've done
3 t-3's, and 2 bugs), but the job is a big PIA, and knowing that 1 wrong cut
turns the whole thing into scrap is what really keeps you on your toes. I just
recommend that the novice turn the job over to a pro, mainly because of
needing plenty of time (without any distractions), and a lot of patience. Sounds
like you had both going for you at the time, and that helps.

As for the uprights, they go under the headliner at the top of the posts,
with the headliner rolled under to create a finished edge for the top of the
post. I'm not sure if I explained that right, but that's how it goes. I hope this
helps. And now get you a cold one and admire your handy work. : )

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof and IRS (Krusty)
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at;
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977 and now has a dead T-3  with D-jet FI
engine. : (