Re: [T3] Injector problem?

On 7 Jan 2006 at 11:59, Constantino Tobio wrote:

> I've started doing the fuel plumbing in the engine compartment. I've
> pulled the injectors, inspected them, wiped them down, replaced the
> hoses and seals. One of my injectors has a couple of cracks at the
> plastic tip. The cracks radiate out from the hole where the needle is.
> This either was like that, or became like that when butterfingers here
> dropped it on his workbench- it landed square nose down on the table,
> and none of the other injectors have cracks like this.

As long as the tip isn't in danger of falling apart, this is fine.
You can even remove the plastic tips completely and omit them. I
probably have some spares here, too.

You should worry about whether you bent the center pin or not, but if
the plastic tip was in place that would be hard to do. I think that's
one of the main functions of that piece.

> I've got 4 NOS injectors still bagged and in their original wrapping,
> plus I've got 4 used ones that honestly have been sitting around- two
> which I won't use because they're rusty and crusty and possibly exposed
> to the elements, and 2 that look very clean but weren't likely stored
> with kerosene in them like Jim likes to recommend. But they look very clean.

Keep the new ones on the shelf until you absolutely need them, which
you probably never will. With care, the service life on these is very
long. My preference is to use up my oldest parts first, since the
alternative eventually leads to a stockpile of old dubious parts.
With injectors, you have to worry about whether the O-rings in them
will leak when you install them after a long time.

BTW, it's almost never too late to start storing used injectors in
kerosene.