Re: [T3] Playing with the fuel tank today.

Dave Hall wrote:

> That's a drawing from Geoff Tunks, one of our club members. I agree
> with you,
>
>don't put the sealer in, but maybe keep an eye out for a tank that's got no
>rust.  Must be quite a few of them over there in the dry states.

Don't get me wrong- my tank looks as good as a brand new tank on the
inside. I gave it a good once-over with a flashlight and an inspection
mirror, and there is not a speck of rust in there. There were tiny
little rust dots inside, but the metal ready seems to have dissolved
them. No corrosion whatsoever.

>When all's said and done, even rusty tanks can be repaired, but quite a few on
>the list have had trouble with fuel starvation as the tank got lower due to the
>channel getting clogged.  In Geoff Tunks' case, the return nozzle was almost
>touching the opening and wasn't doing its job in helping to force the fuel from
>the outer part of the tank to get back into the inner cup.

When I was siphoning fuel out from where the sender hole is, I could
clearly see a gush of fuel coming out the hole in the bottom of the tank
into the bowl. So, that opening is clearly fine.

Frankly, I couldn't do better with an NOS tank.

Interesting story behind the tank in this car- sometime in the 90's, the
old guy who owned the car brought it to the dealership complaining of a
gasoline smell coming from the front of the car. The dealership (yes, he
was still getting it serviced there) sourced a tank from a salvage yard
as the old tank had rusted through and replaced all the hoses in the
front. My guess is the salvage yard tank may have been sitting around
for a long time and not been on a car too long, as it looks good as new.