Re: [T3] AAR Resolved, and some questions about idle.

On 28 Feb 2006 at 11:59, Constantino Tobio wrote:

> Jim Adney wrote:
>
> >This kind of valve never seals perfectly, but it DOES cut down the airflow to
> >next to nothing. Feeling for suction is the wrong test. The right test is to
> >see if the idle changes noticably, once warmed up, when you close off the
> >opening with your thumb.

> Ok, so the thumb over the hose test drops it to 5-600 RPM.  I can get
> the idle down to around 900 by plugging most of the AAR hose but leaving
> a tiny orifice open with my thumb- but I know the AAR is closing up by a
> visual inspection. What does this mean?

If, with a warm AAR, you can drop the idle from 11-1200 to 5-600, then I'd say
that the valve isn't closed all the way yet. You should get a change in rpm of
less than 100. It's possible that you just didn't wait long enough, or that the
valve is still a bit sticky, or that the heater doesn't warm it up enough.

You could try the heat gun on it while it's still on the car, just to see if
this gets it to close. If so, driving it will probably slowly solve this.

You really can't see when it's installed, but you CAN try to blow thru it. Use
a clean piece of hose and try this. You may have to remove the AAR so you can
see the valve, and then try blowing thru that hose when you KNOW it's closed,
just so you know what it feels like when it's really closed all the way..

> I also noticed that the port for my vacuum advance on the IAD was
> clogged- I unsealed this with some throttle body cleaner and a thin
> wire. Sucking on this hose makes it seem like the port is a pinhole.
> That's correct, right? Perhaps this was the culprit for the dipdown on
> acceleration?

That port is probably less than 1mm, and I suspect it is often a problem. You
did the right thing by cleaning it out. I suspect that just blowing WD-40 thru
there with the aerosol wand would also have worked.

> I have a crusty old IAD I got for parts and it still had the intake
> runner hoses on. Even in thr crustiest conditions, it appeared to seal
> well enough. They were actually still pliable and reasonably tight. I
> feel comfortable with the IAD connectors being OK.

Sounds good, and they'll just get better with time and temp cycling.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org