RE: [T3] Aircon for my 67 squareback

First off, I agree with EVERY comment made by Jim below... but one night
when the power was out here I had a vision in the dark.... AC was fitted to
the T4 motors without the drawbacks of fitting it to the T3 engines, and
with a Raby 2056 with twice the torque and HP.....

Maybe  mount the condenser above the tranny where there is room and duct it
with electric fans?  No holes in the body....  IS there enough room under
there?
Could this work with the modern efficient compressors and R134?

Bwahahahahaha

*POOF*

OK, Im awake now... what was I saying?

Keith

Then duct the cold air though solenoid valves right into the stock heater
ducts so no holes in the body and no crap under the dash?
AC for these cars was available as a dealer installed option, but probably
not
as early as '67. It was US designed and made, and I'm not sure when it was
introduced.

This topic comes up here often, so others on this list already know that I'm

not a fan of type 3 AC at all. There are several reasons for this:

1) In order to install it you have to cut a number of holes in the body, and

these are all places where water can get in and rust can start.

2) You have to cut holes in the pulley shroud, so the engine will pull in
some
hot air with its cooling air. Type 3s with AC have a higher rate of engine
failure than stock.

3) The air cleaner generally has to be repositioned, and this usually ends
up
with feeding hot air to the engine for combustion.

4) You need a special bolt for the pulley, in order to add the AC compressor

pulley. This special bolt had a high failure rate in the early years, but I
think they solved that with a better bolt.

5) Running the AC in hot weather puts extra strain on the engine during
those
times when the cooling is least likely to be able to handle it. This
contributes to the higher engine failure rate. Others here will report that
modern compressors put much less load on the engine, but there's a limit to
how
well you can do and still get the cooling you want.

6) Once the under-dash unit is installed, you won't be able to access any of

the things under there, like the fuse box, water drain hoses, wiper motor
and
linkages, turn signal flasher, and you won't be able to get to the back of
the
instruments to release them.

7) The condensor either sits in the front wheel wells, where it fills up
with
mud, or in front of the front axle, making service to anything there
impossible.

Frankly, my feeling when I see one of these is of intense sadness. It's just

such a shame to do this to such a nice car.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org