Re: [T3] Automatic AAR possibly stuck

On 25 Feb 2006 at 23:58, Constantino Tobio wrote:

> I've got this sneaking suspicion that my fast idle wasn't that the AAR
> was too cold but that the AAR is stuck open. When I ran the engine most
> recently, I plugged up the AAR except for a tiny opening, and the idle
> slowed down but the car did not seem to want to stall. Before, when I
> ran the car for 20 minutes, there was no change in idle speed due to the
> AAR closing, and there was still a very strong vacuum in the AAR hose.

It's common for these to get stuck, especially if they haven't run in
a long time. They can generally be freed, however.

But be sure to verify that you have 12V there first.

> I put an ohmmeter to it, I got a reading of 14 ohms between the wire and
> the body of the device. There's other tests I'd like to perform, such as
> applying 12V to it on a bench and seeing if the rotary valve turns.

Doing it on the bench gives you the best shot at this. That's what I
generally do.

> Since I have an automatic, it doesn't seem like I can realistically open
> this one up and see if I can free it inside. Thoughts?

Bring it inside and drip a couple drops of oil down its throats.
Reach in the straight port with a screwdriver and carefully move the
valve up an down a bit, and you may even be able to rotate it a bit.
Be very careful not to raise a burr on anything that could interfere
with it's motion later on.

Then thermal cycle it up and down with its heater using the
screwdriver each time to move the part again.

Eventually you will notice that it moves easier and moves more and
more on its own. Once it is freed up, it will generally stay free as
long as you thermal cycle the engine occasionally.