Re: [T3] Fuel line replacement complete

Jim Adney wrote:

>One of the things that makes an O-ring work is that it will absorb a small
>amount of the working fluid and swell up a bit. When working with a strong
>solvent like gasoline, over time, solvent action will actually leach out some
>of the plasticizers in the O-ring material, so that if the O-ring is allowed to
>dry again, it will actually be smaller than when it was new. Letting it sit in
>the fluid again will cause it to swell again and this will often be enough to
>get it to seal.
>
>If rust has already formed on the sealing surface in the meantime, this
>probably won't work, but my experiences with this have almost always turned out
>well.

Makes sense to me. The two times I saw this injector leak:

Starting the car after it had been sitting 1 year
Then, 2 starts
And now, pressurizing the system for the first time since the last start.

In retrospect, while I was doing this work I should have pulled the
injectors first and saved installing the injectors for last, and soaked
them all in kerosene in the interim, if I was going to take a month or
so to complete this job.

The pressure gauge mow reads 0. I'll repressurize the system tonight and
see how long it takes to get back to 20+ lbs.

Quick question- do I just jumper pins 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay
to get the pump going without doing the whole key trick?

>I need to go thru my stash of pumps and rebuild several of them, just to see if
>the fix I have works on all of them, and to build up a backlog of known good
>reusable pumps.

I may want to consider shipping you my pump at some point. The fact that
complete pressure is lost a few hours after the vehicle has been stopped
is a little inconvenient.