Re: [T3] a/c in sb

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 09:22, Toby Erkson wrote:
> I have seen a few, in junk yards.  I pulled my unit (not currently installed)
> from a junker.  There were a couple versions of A/C.  I'm sure Russ can chime in
> and tell us more.  I'm a little sketchy about the proper naming of components
> but there's a radiator located at the front of the car (the condenser?).  It's
> either one big unit that sits in front of the front beam or it's two smaller
> units, one each located in the front fender, behind the headlight (lots of space
> in that area).  There's also the additional pulley that gets bolted along with
> the stock pulley fan.  This extra pulley, of course, is what drives the A/C
> compressor.  Then there's the underdash component itself.
>
> If you scrap the car, I would recommend keeping the pulley, radiator(s) and
> associated mounts, and under dash unit.  These can be used with modern
> equipment, along with a modern compressor -- which will need its own custom
> engine mount so the OG isn't really needed.  You're looking at least a thousand
> dollars and more to get it professionally set up and operational which is what
> has held me up.  A modern, efficient compressor uses only 2-3hp to operate so
> it's not as taxing on the engine as the originals.

If and when you remove the pully, save the LONG bolt, and the machined
spacer that is behind it. Save the power relays, and the wire harness.
Also save all the fittings for the freon lines. The hoses themsleves
will be rotted and junk by this time. An AC repair shop should be able
to make new hoses if they have the ends.

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 FB AT