Re: [T3] Time to repack my CV joints...

Jim Adney wrote:

>This sounds like an AT. It's likely that the governor cover o-ring is leaking
>ATF. This is so common as to be almost universal. Replace the O-ring, but be
>careful not to get dirt in there when you take the cover off. Also, don't try
>to take the governor out, as there is the possibility of a part falling off the
>shaft thus requiring disassembly of the final drive.

Yup, it's an AT. The governor cover does have a fair smattering of
grease around it. None of the oil on the transmission looks fresh- but
then again, this vehicle has been idled for a year and a half. It's
possible that this O-ring was repaired when the input shaft seal was
repaired. I'll need to look up the records.

I'll see what happens when this car has been on the road more. Indeed I
may revisit this if need be.

Are there any precautions to taking the governor cover off such that the
governor doesn't fall out? Also, where would I find this o-ring? It
looks like it would be about 2-2.5" in diameter.

>Definitely check the diff oil level, replace it if you want (with GL-5.)

It's a 17mm hex to take the drain plug out, right?

>If you yank them back and forth axially,this often redistributes the grease that is in there and gives them an easy fresh start. You can also feel for roughness or excess play as you do this, which might be an indication of a CV joint about to give out.

I've done this and the CVs feel very smooth, and the wheels spin
contrary to each other very smoothly.

>If you take the CV joints apart, watch what you're doing carefully. It IS
>possible to put them back together wrong, plus there are several ways to try to
>put them back together that just won't work. Make sure you look at the
>illustrations in the Bentley manual about how they go together.

The Muir book also has a chapter on reassembling the CVs that makes this
very clear- better than the Bentley, I think.

I understand the need to do one CV at a time, but is it necessary to put
all the balls in the exact same spot in the cage?