Re: [T3] lights update

Looking at the switch picture, the red/grey thin wire is probably the gauge
lighting, and I guess the double grey one may be for the front parking lights,
but I'm not entirely sure of that as they usually go through a  fuse.  Does
yours have the side lights on the fenders near the doors?

Somewhere there should be the feed for the tail lights - a slightly thicker grey
wire.  It could be the one at the front.  This feeds both rear light fuses.  In
some circuits this also does front lights.

With the light switch on its first position, I would expect you to get voltages
on all the wires apart from the black/white one which supplies thr headlights.
If any of them wobble about between 0 and 12 you probably have a bad contact in
the switch.  Sometimes they can be dismantled and cleaned, but you risk not
getting things back together.  They may be rivetted together or use bent lugs.
There are lots of bits inside, so be careful if you do pull it apart, and be
sure that's the problem!

If it turns out to be the switch, you may be able to add the wires to one of the
other connections with a piggy-back connector.

You are learning electrical fault-finding - that's a handy skill to have.

Good luck.
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/