RE: [T3] Front disc brakes

On 30 Aug 2006 at 10:38, type3weezer@comcast.net wrote:

> >If you can find the parts locally that would probably be the best
> >bet, but if you can't, I have a good set of used parts here.

> Thanks for the offer Jim but I'm in New Jersey and I think the shipping would kill me.
>
> >Just get a complete 66 or later front beam.  You get the stock Type 3
> >front disc brakes with it.  You also get 4 lug, instead of the wide 5.
> >I would want to convert to the 4 lug in the rear also.  Maybe swap in a
> >complete 66-68 rear subframe.

> I don't want to go this deep into it, John. My car, albeit a darksider,
> is all original. No rust, no problems, nothing missing. I know the disc
> conversion won't be "original" but I'm looking at it from a safety
> stand point. I was never thrilled with the front drums and still have
> an issue with it to this day. Were all the original disc beams 4 lug?
> This would mean new rims for me also. I think it's time to start
> looking in the yards.

Yes, there were no 5 lug rotors. If you find a disk donor car, you
can steal the rear hubs and drums from it, too, and just transfer
them over to your rears. I THINK they are a drop-in replacement.

Replacing the whole axle beam is actually a lot easier than just
replacing the steering knuckles outward, simply because then you
don't have to worry about preloading the torsion bars. Whatever you
buy, don't use anything from earlier than mid-'68, because after that
the axle stubs got larger and stronger. They take different inner
wheel bearings, though.

Note also that squares came with a slightly heavier sway bar than the
other body styles.