Re: [T3] type 3 frt end

<x-flowed>I'm thinking it has lost the bolt
and since this is a real project car height makes no real difference but the arm pulling out does as it is hard to move

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [T3] type 3 frt end

On 26 Aug 2006 at 8:52, Tim Johnson wrote:

hey all I had my square up on stands for a bit then took it down the pass
side has changed height .

the tire looked tipped so I jacked it back up it appears that what ever use
to hold the lower arm has let it go
if when in air I pull on bottom of tire the lower arm comes out
now this car is not on the road but still need to be able to move it
what is suppose to keep the arm attached is it like in a beetle and the grub
screw (in top of arm) is suppose to or is the more/something else.

Okay, we're talking about the right front, right?

There are 3 possibilities:

The set screw that holds the lower arm onto the torsion bar is loose
or gone. You can see the end of the torsion bar at the center of the
lower arm, so if the arm pulls out leaving the torsion bar behind,
that would be easy to spot. In that case, all you have to do is get
the arm back in the right position on the spline (harder than it
sounds) and put the screw back in.

The bolt that holds the far end of the torsion bar has fallen out.
Look on the far end and see if that bolt is still there.

The torsion bar has broken. If both ends are still in place, but they
can be moved independently, then they are no longer connected. The
bar will have to be replaced. Note that L & R bars are different, and
squareback bars are thicker than the others. Replacement is generally
difficult.

Look thru the front axle chapter in the Bentley manual for good
illustrations of this assembly.