Re: FI conversion

In a message dated 8/25/06 9:29:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney@vwtype3.org writes:

<< On 25 Aug 2006 at 19:25, Steven Cooper wrote:

 > I have been planning on "reverting' my fasty to FI for a number of years
 > now.  I have more than one off most of the FI components, either second
hand or
 > new, including two NOS wiring harnesses.  My car was originally FI, so it
has
 > the delivery and return fuel lines.

 It's much easier to do this on a car that was originally FI and has the fuel
 return line. You'll probably want to flush out that line before you use it,
 however, because it's probably full of dirt by now, unless it's been capped.

 Note that you have to have the RIGHT FI wiring harness. There were probably
 something like 6 to 10 different harnesses, and if you have the wrong one it
 won't work with the parts, or the car, that you have.

 > My question is, is it worth the effort to get the FI working again?  I
want to
 > do it just for the challenge and because there are VERY few type 3s in
Australia
 > which still have the original FI working.

 That's a hard choice. I know that if it were me, I'd do it, but that's
because
 I have a basement full of the parts and I know exactly what's needed and
where
 it goes. If you're not already familiar with the systems, this would be a
real
 challenge.

 I'm not actually trying to discourage you; I just want you to go into this
 completely aware of what's ahead of you. I completely agree that it would be
 worthwhile to restore it.

 As far as driveability goes, I think you'll find that both systems are very
 driveable in good weather. The FI has a small advantage in cold weather
 starting, but that may not be an issue for you. The main reason that the FI
was
 introduced was that it could be programmed to produce lower exhaust
emissions.
 That's probably not as inportant in your part of the world as it is where
the
 population density is much higher, but we all share the same atmosphere and
 each contribution eventually goes into the same pool. >>

Jim does make some good points. I'm working on my wife's 70, trying to gather
the bits and pieces, so I can return it to FI. Owning both a carbed car and
an FI car, I can tell the FI is a little smoother, easier from cold, and seems
to generally run a lot better (you do have to tune it, tune it , tune it
though, I mean everything else on the engine has to be up to spec). The FI is very
similar to the carbs they ended replacing (at least here in the US), and I've
gotten to thinking of it as an electric carb (I'm a carb guy). Well, the ECU
doesn't control timing, doesn't lean the mix according to the O2 sensor, or any
of that, so it's fuel only that it controls, and then only on demand (vac
signal). Once warmed up, I think the FI has a slight edge, but not much.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof and IRS (Krusty)
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at;
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977 and now running the old Notch motor with
D-jet FI . : )