RE: [T3] FI cams

On 19 Aug 2006 at 12:10, Steven Cooper wrote:

> I'm aware of the different sizes of cam gear which available to compensate
> for manufacturing variances.  The reason I asked the question is because
> there is mention on "shoptalkforums" of different timing of valve opening
> for cams supplied with FI and carbed engines.  There is also discussion that
> the FI cam is better suited to the ratios of the automatic gearbox.

There is nothing shown in the microfilm that would indicate that
there were any differences. I also went back and checked the older
printed parts book that I have and it doesn't show anything either.

However, and this is a stretch, I note that the early cams are all a
"D" version while the late cams are the "G" version. This could make
one wonder what happened to the other letter variations. It's
CONCEIVABLE that VW actully installed different cams at the factory
but only made one of them available as replacements. I doubt this,
but it's possible. VW occasionally did things like this, but only
after the cars where so old that the demand was insignificant. My
parts book was printed while our cars where still in production, so I
would expect it to show all the possibilities.

It's much more likely that the other variations are just the normal
upgrades and supercessions that were normal for VW.

> On a separate, but related, question - do the stock FI dizzys retard timing
> of no 3 cylinder?

I didn't think so, but Russ has the straight scoop. There were a LOT
of FI distributors, so it's possible that some did and some didn't.