RE: [T3] Mechanical fuel pump: re-assembly

I replaced my diaphragm with material that Russ sent me, and I think Russ
had the answer to when to tighten the screws too... I cant remember off hand
but it did work, pump has been fine for several thousand miles now.

Keith

I was talking with Dan O'Donnell this evening about rebuilding his
'67 fuel pump. I knew I had read somewhere that when you tighten the
6 screws that hold the diaphram you are supposed to do this with the
actuating lever pushed in a certain amount and that VW had a special
took to help do this. I had always assumed that you were just
supposed to do this with the diaphram in the center of its normal
travel, but when I started checking my manuals, the only info I could
find was that the limits on the stroke of the pushrod: 8 mm & 13 mm.