Re: [T3] Suggestions on finding a short in the wiring harness?

On 9 Aug 2006 at 21:50, BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 8/7/06 5:16:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, s13gram@gmail.com
> writes:
>
> << Also, the ignition cylinder had an issue
>  with the previous owner, so he removed the starter wires and wired
>  them into a momentary pushbutton switch.
>
>  OK, now the problem. When the key is put in the run position, the car
>  is fine, I hear the fuel pump going, and all lights and accessories
>  get power. When the starter button is depressed, the car immediately
>  loses ALL power. No fuses blow in the glovebox, but everything dies,
>  and stays dead, until the battery is disconnected and reconnected.  >>
>
> I had to go back a few days to see what year car you had. I'm still wondering
> where the PO got power to run the car or the starter. For the 70 and earlier
> cars, VW sent power from the VR to the light switch first, then to both the
> key swich and the fuse box. But wouldn't the key switch part seperate the
> running voltage (switched) from the battery supplied voltage? What I'm getting at
> is, if the PO cut the 2 red wires that would have ran the starter, how does the
> ignition switch get 12 volts over to the coil? Did the PO bring a wire over
> from the fuse box, or the battery to run the starter? I'm only asking, because I
> think I'm missing something. :? Apparently it ran like the PO set it up, as
> you were driving it, but it might help us help you on why it's not working now.

Like Bob, I'm also confused. Add in the fact that he mentioned, "No
fuses blow in the glovebox," and I think we know that this car has
been completely rewired by someone, sometime. (The original
installation had NO fuses in the glove box; VW never put them there.)
There's little we can do to help in a case like this where the
current situation is almost completely unknown.