Re: [T3] no juice

On 6 Aug 2006 at 18:35, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> The Baroness has had a long healthy spell, until
> today.  Something really weird happened.  I was double
> parked waiting for a friend, and I had my emergency
> flashers on.  I shut off the engine.  I noticed that
> the needle on the gas gage was moving to half full
> position every time the flashers went on.

This seems to be caused by a poor ground at the gauge cluster. I
think this cluster gets its ground strictly from the spring fingers
that lock the gauge into the dash, so sometimes this can be cured by
just wiggling the gauge. At any rate, it doesn't seem to cause any
real harm, just a little odd behavior.

> I shut the flashers off, and turned the key---nothing.
>  It was as if the starter was disconnected.  I made
> sure I was in neutral, and tried again.  Completely
> dead. The oil and generator lights did not come on.
> Luckily, I was 2 blocks from home, so my friend pushed
> me.  Just before home, I turned the key again and the
> oil & generator lights came on, so I turned it all the
> way and it started up just fine!

If it weren't for the fact that the idiot lights failed to come on,
I'd tell you to wiggle the (AT?) shift lever, but if the idiot lights
didn't come on, the only cause would have to be in the ignition
switch or the wiring to it. On '71s there is a plug on the underside
of the right side of the steering column, just under the dash. Make
sure that is completely plugged in. Otherwise, you may need to find
one of those hard to find '71 ignition switches.

> What do you think is going on here?  I recently
> replaced the horn---could I have shorted something out
> somewhere?  None of the fuses under the dash were
> blown.

I don't think the horn circuit could have anything to do with this,
unless you bumped the plug mentioned above while working on this.