Re: Newbie w. a couple of questions

In a message dated 8/7/06 8:12:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time, comwest@att.net
writes:

<< Mackenzie=> I dont think that I would be able to do so in any sort of a
 => timely fashion without buying another car.

 If you have anyone do a rebuild, plan on the car being down for at least
 a month.
 An engine swap is considerably faster, but make sure it was built by
 someone who knows and cares about what they are doing. Do not under any
 circumstances buy from GEX.

 => My mechanic said that I could drive on this engine as is for years, ...

 But he thinks studs are pulling out? This is not a condition that
 remains stable. If so, you will soon start hearing popping from the
 loose head on every fire. Driving it makes it worse.

 => I'm going through 2 or 3 tanks of gas a week as is, and hate the thought
 => that this is my fate.

 This does not say how far you are driving in that time, but it sounds
 like your mileage is vary bad in comparison to a previous condition. I
 would not expect this from loose studs. I think something else entirely
 may be wrong, perhaps in addition to the stud problem.

 => I dont think that my mechanic did a compression or torque test, just
 tried to
 => tighten, and knew that if he went further they would break

 If it happened as you describe here, I would recommend a second opinion
 from someone more diligent. >>

I agree with Steven, stay AWAY fro GEX, they probably have the worst
reputation of all the engine building companies out there.
If the engine is trying to pull the head studs out, I'd expect to see an oil
leak out of one or both sides (either at the case or the heads). If no oil
leak, then I'd think the head studs are good and solid, and I'd start looking
elsewhere.

Crappy fuel mileage, can be a several of things, timing, valve adjustments,
driver error, excessive drag (rear brakes adjusted too tight, or front hoses
with internal bulging (not releasing the front brakes)), a lot of stop and go
travel, tires improperly inflated,... the list can go on.

I also agree with Steven on getting a second opinion. Talk to other VW owners
in your area. Join the Samba t-3 forum, and ask if there are any members in
your area that could recommend a good VW shop. The VW community is pretty large
in SoCal, and other western states, but starts getting smaller as you go
east. I hope this helps.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof and IRS (Krusty)
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at;
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977 and now running the old Notch motor with
D-jet FI . : )