Re: [T3] Suggestions on finding a short in the wiring harness?

In a message dated 8/7/06 5:16:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, s13gram@gmail.com
writes:

<< OK, now the problem. When the key is put in the run position, the car
 is fine, I hear the fuel pump going, and all lights and accessories
 get power. When the starter button is depressed, the car immediately
 loses ALL power. No fuses blow in the glovebox, but everything dies,
 and stays dead, until the battery is disconnected and reconnected. Is
 there a circuit breaker I don't see in the wiring harness that is
 tripping? I'm thinking that the short is occuring in either the
 starter/solenoid, the generator/regulator or the wiring of those to
 the battery, as all accessories seem to work fine. Any suggestions of
 what to check? Anybody experience anything like this? >>

I know there isn't a circuit breakeron these cars. It sounds like the
solenoid is sticking if it's engaging from just pushing the button. The PO might have
wired the push button wrong, and this is causing part of the problem. You
might want to look on the Samba for a wiring diagram (they're in color), to kinda
help you go thru the system.

You mention that with the car running, everything is normal, so this also
points to the starter / soleniod, and it's releated wiring. If you could tell us
how the PO "hot" wired the starter, we might be able to help you some more.
But with the limited description, we're kind shooting in the dark here.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof and IRS (Krusty)
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at;
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977 and now running the old Notch motor with
D-jet FI . : )