Re: [T3] Carberators or FI

In a message dated 8/5/06 2:18:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, shalom@ucla.edu
writes:

<< I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what the pros and cons of
 Carberators and Fuel Injection.>>

I have to agree with Steven on this, you're actually better off with what you
currently have. If it's FI, keep it, and learn about this simple system. If
it's carbs, there are sources for the different types, although the stock Solex
carbs seem the best fit for our cars.

<<I've been wanting to rebuild my engine(1600 FI) and I'm a little
 worried about the reliability of the FI system(being 30 some years
 old).  Would you change over or stay.  I'm working on my graduate
 degree in "Controls", so I like the idea of the feedback control
 loop(as in the FI system), but this system is pretty old.   >>

I think the biggest issue you'll run into are getting heads with a CHT sensor
boss. :O I only say that, because it seems most of the companies selling new
cylinder heads don't offer them with a boss for the FI head temp sensor. :(  I
just went thru this with MOFOCO, on my new engine (for my Notch, looking at
it as a possible upgrade), and their response to my question about it left me
less than pleased. As for the Fi itself, we've just had 2 cars basically drive
cross country both ways with FI, and if that's not reliable, I don't know what
is. :O  And I know Jim's has to be 100% stock, while Keith's is slightly
questionable (you can't shake that Darksider image Keith ;^) ). Something to think
about with the t-3 FI, it's an analog system (that's why it's hard to find a
mechanic to work on it), it's already been on the car for over 30 years, and
it's weakest point IS the wiring harness. :O  Just in case you're interested,
I'm looking at putting that same system on my 65 Notch. I've got most of the
bits and pieces here already , it's just a matter of timefor me (maybe the 2008
Invasion it'll have it. : )  Just something to think about.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof and IRS (Krusty)
       71 Square, now a 2 seat Roadster, pics can be seen at;
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2977 and now running the old Notch motor with
D-jet FI engine. : )