[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]

Re: [T3] 71 Squareback gas line q (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:59:31 -0600
From: Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org>
Reply-To: type3@vwtype3.org
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] 71 Squareback gas line q
Resent-Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:01:56 -0800 (PST)
Resent-From: type3@vwtype3.org

On 21 Nov 2005 at 1:12, andy wrote:

> there is a small clear line on the drivers side that runs alongside the
> gas tank and attaches to a metal line.
> seems to be damp with fuel. where does that go and what to do about it?

It leads to an overflow tank under the LF fender. From there, there is another
line that runs to the charcoal cannister above the transmission, where gas
fumes are trapped. More hoses carry those fumes to the engine when it runs so
that those fumes can be burned rather than being released to the air.

In my experience, this system is always dead by now. The problem is that all
the steel lines have rusted on the inside and no longer allow anything to pass
thru them. You can test them by opening a line somwhere and trying to blow thru
the hose. There doesn't need to be any significant flow, but there needs to be
some, because this is the only path for air to get back in the tank to replace
gas which is used up.

Here's what I do:

On '70 cars, there is a steel line that runs across the top of the trunk at the
back. I replace that with a plastic line from a later year.

On all '70-'73s, I remove the outside overflow cannister and the lines to and
from it, as well as the charcoal cannister & hoses. Cap off the places on the
engine where those hoses attached.

Remove the metal line which passes out the side of the trunk and discard it.
Remove the rubber plug near the LF corner of the gas tank and cut off it's
pointed end; that leaves a hole thru it. Use another plastic tube from a later
year to make an extension which will go from the clear plastic hose thru this
"grommet" and about 4" farther down. That becomes your gas tank vent. Use heat
to bend this tube to fit.

Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711-3054

List info at http://www.vwtype3.org/list | mailto:gregm@vwtype3.org

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [New Search]