Re: [T3] FI Fuel Tank restoration - continued

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 12:33, big.al@bigblackdot.net wrote:

> Investigation after cleaning the first T3 tank discovered that T3 tanks
> are different that Type 1 tanks. They have a "cup" around the supply
> port with the return port acting as a pump to bring more fuel into the
> cup. (at least this is true for FI, we're still trying to confirm or
> deny if earlier carb models have this same cup set-up.)

I have 2 early tanks in the garage. One from a 64 T-34, and one I just
got. to replace the T-34 tank. I will look in both this afternoon, and
confirm or deny whether the early tanks had the cup.
I can even cut the top out of the original tank and take a picture,
because the whole top around the filler neck is rusted out.

> On this weekend's episode:
>

> However, the second tank from the automatic that was not supplying fuel,
> was much more rusty. After this weekend's round of cleaning and prepping
> showed what I believe was a problem from the factory!  Looking from the
> fuel sender mounting hole, only about a quarter of the return port can
> be seen through the return hole in the cup. Therefore, the cup inside
> the tank was not aligned with the return port!  I highly doubt that it
> could have been knocked out of alignment, so original manufacture
> defect is the only logical answer.  :(

The FI tanks have the return fuel pipe from the engine coming up right
in the middle of that port in the cup. It gives it a syphon effect, to
help ensure that there is gas in the cup until you run completely out.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=288

--
Russ Wolfe
'71 FB AT