Re: [T3] 1971 Fastback with fuel injection, no start!

> a.sterrett@att.net writes:

>  The main relay under the back seat clicks when the ignition is turned on.
> Post 85 goes to ground; Post 86 goes to fuze box; Post 87 goes to the fuel pump
> relay Post 86 and two wires go to the Brain; Post 30/51 goes to the battery.
>
>  The fuel pump relay under the dash has Post 85 going to the computer; Post
> 86 going to the main relay Post 87; Post 87 going to the fuel pump and Post
> 30/51 going to the fuze box.
>
>  I suspect my problem has something to do with the fuze box and the way it is
> wired. I guess with by lack of knowledge in reading schematics I am not sure
> about what is the top row and what is the bottom row on the fuze board. I am
> also not sure if I have the jumper in the correct position or not. I have it
> running from position 7 to position 8.

You really just need to get in there with a voltmeter or a test light to verify
that you are getting 12V to the right places at the right time. Just clip the
black lead of your voltmeter or test light to ground and use the other end to
probe around and see what you've got. I realize you are probably not familiar
with this kind of troubleshooting, but this is a reasonable time to get
started.

You're just looking to see if there is 12V there or not.

You should get 12V on the output side of the relay under the back seat any time
the key is ON.

You should see 12V on the output side of the relay under the dash for about 1
second after you turn the key ON.

In general, you can tell if a relay is getting energized by just hearing or
feeling it click.

Work from the source to the end, verifying each link in the chain as you go.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org