Re: [T3] bad clutch 68 Fastback

On 11 Apr 2006 at 12:34, LeeAC wrote:

> Driving into work today and it finally happened.
> The whining noise that occurs when I depress the
> clutch more than 75% morphed into the pedal getting
> very stiff, a very noisy rattling sound when the
> clutch wasn't depressed (partly from the clutch pedal
> rattling away, and partly from the rear of the car),
> and when I push the engine to do anything over 2500
> revs the din is enough to make a tiger tank driver
> reminisce over old times.
>
> So, do I need a new clutch?

There are LOTs of things that it could be, but most all of them are related to
the clutch. Here's a list of possibilities: clutch plate, pressure plate,
throwout bearing, throwout bearing cross shaft, pilot bearing, and clutch
cable. Given your symptoms, I don't think the cable is the problem, but you
won't know exactly which of the others is the problem until you get it apart.

Most shops will not bother to try to figure out the actual cause of the
problem, because that takes longer and makes them less money. They will just
replace everything, sometimes even the flywheel, too.

Personally, if I had to guess, my guess would be the throwout bearing or the
cross shaft, with the pressure plate coming in next. If it's been making noise
for a long time, however, then things might be nasty in there and you may have
damaged parts that would have been okay if you had fixed it right away.

The cheapest way to fix it is to do it yourself, but this requires removing the
engine. If you take it to a shop that will be the most expensive, because they
will replace everything possible; it's also a potential problem with a FI car,
because those shops frequently get things hooked up wrong when they put the
engine back together.

Where are you located? That will help find you good service.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org