[T3] Squareback Fire

I really donât know for sure what caused the fire. I suspect an
electrical problem in the engine compartment. On Monday it was 108
degrees outside. I think something must have melted on my way home
from work (the Squareback was my daily driver). Then in the morning
while I was warming the car up something shorted out or caught fire
on the exhaust. When I pulled out of the driveway I smelled what I
thought was burning rubber. I looked back at where the car had been
parked and saw a small piece of something burning with that orangey
flame like burning rubber. I shut the car off and pulled the fire
extinguisher from under the seat. I looked under the back of the car
and saw flames under the left side. I sprayed a shot of the FE under
there and stuck my head in further. It looked like the fire was
higher up so I opened the hatch and pulled the engine cover. The
fire was on the left side. I was dark and I was somewhat freaked out
but I think it was nearer the coil rather than towards the front of
the engine. That first FE was not enough to put the fire out so I ran
for another in the house and told my wife to call 911. I grabbed the
FEs from the kitchen, office and garage. To tell you the truth I
donât remember now how bad the fire was as this point. I dumped the
other three extinguishers on the fire one after the other but it
wasnât enough.

I know the common ways in which older VWs catch fire.  I had made
sure that the battery connections were insulated from the springs on
the bottom of the back seat.  I'd installed a bulkhead fitting for
the fuel line into the engine compartment.  The carbs had been
rebuilt a few thousand miles back.  I'd been keeping an eye on them
to be sure that they weren't leaking.  Since the last time I did the
heads I'd replaced the oil cooler seals and pushrod tubes and seal
the Squareback did not leak a drop of oil.  That was a first for me.
All my VWs leaked a little oil, some more, some less.  It was a sweet
little car, oxidized paint, leaky windshield seal, beat up driver's
seat and all.  I'm gonna miss it.

Martin.

Martin Garramone
Principal Library Assistant