Re: [T3] PA safety inspection

Thanks to all who responded for the support.  I will
also look into the Harrisburg VW club.  And j_jonik,
I agree with a lot of what you said.  I know that
in some ways, the goal is to spread money out to
the small mechanic shops throughout the state.  This
is a peculiar state in that some things seem to
recognize the working class strength of PA, while
on the other hand so much is such a burden on the
masses of people that are living hand to mouth...

As it turns out, between naiivity and shock at the
list of failures, many of the items listed are more
"reasonable" than I initially thought.  I read through
the checklist put out by PA online last night and
some things that don't appear to be "safety" oriented
are actually on the checklist they have to go through
(like muffler).

So, from memory, my list of failures reads like this:

1) Front side parking light lens - section
   broken off (alright, fine I can fix it)
2) Wipers don't work - They actually did on the
   the way to the shop (it was a dewy morning).
   I don't know what they did to it, maybe the
   fuse blew in a fit of bad timing.
3) Horn plate on steering wheel - I wrote to the
   list about this problem a couple of days ago.
   I haven't had time to find the plastic connection
   parts yet.
4) Upper and lower ball joints - I don't know about
   this.  I do have a weird front end rattle on
   high speed turns, but I had the car checked by
   a shop in Wisconsin this Spring when I moved to
   PA and my fiance was driving the VW.  They said
   ball joints looked fine and the only problem
   they could guess at was play in the steering box.
5) Steering dampner bad - I'm not sure if the
   shop in WI looked at this.  I replaced it in
   '99 or '00.  I don't know the life of these,
   especially given the front end rattle mentioned
   above...
6) Muffler - 2 small visible leaks.  Evidently any
   visible leaks or "external repair" is grounds for
   failing here.
7) Speedometer - fluctuates a lot at low speeds, but
   is fine over about 30 with no fluctuations.  This
   might be a marginal item if it were the only
   problem.
8) Odometer - known problem, however, not grounds
   for failing if the car is >25 years old.
9) Drums oversized - I think he means they had been
   turned too much.  I will have to pull them and
   measure them to find out.
10) Rear brake cylinders siezed - This might be
   true.  The WI shop mentioned this and said they
   had some tool to fix it.  Evidently, it didn't
   fix it for long. :)
11) Rear brake shoes heat cracking - I haven't
   looked, but it's possible
12) Something about the rear part of the frame being
   rusted and breaking loose.  I haven't a clue
   what this means, so I will go back and talk to
   them about it tonight after work.

So, basically, most of it does appear to be somewhat
reasonable.  I think that some could be a matter
of perspective and a mechanic more familiar with
VW's might perceive things differently, but I'm not
sure.

My fiance picked the car up because I had to stay
late at work, so I didn't get to talk to them until
this morning.  They guy who did most of the
inspection wasn't there yet, but another guy who
helped was.  My initial reason for bringing the car
back was that they forced open the glove compartment
(because it sticks sometimes) and broke the latch.
They never told us this.  So, I jumped in the car
and nearly got myself killed at the bottom of the
hill because the rear brakes basically didn't work
at all and the pedal when straight to the floor
with little affect on the brakes.  I understand
some of the affects of pulling the drum off and
loosening the brakes to allow it to, but they
didn't re-tighten it to make it reasonably safe to
drive.

If they would have told me about the glove box,
it would have been understandable, but I'm a little
disappointed with their lack of integrity by just
ignoring it.

I'm going to stop now.  This is way too long.  Thanks
for sticking through this epic email if you made it
this far!

Best regards,

Eric
'72 sq