RE: [T-3] Pilot bearing?

On 1 Sep 2005 at 22:10, BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com wrote:

> How do I tell if I have a pilot bearing going, or a throw out bearing going?
> For the last week or so I've been hearing what sounds like a throw out bearing
> making noise, but it seems like it might be something else (this is in my
> Notch, which has been being driven everyday again). I only say that because the
> sound comes in while in neutral, or while in gear, but goes away with the
> clutch pedal depressed. If I get to a certain engine speed, the sound goes away. I
> did have to back off the clutch adjustment, as I lost my free play (that was a
> day after I first noticed the noise). The clutch doesn't slip or anything,
> and it shifts fine, but the noise it starting to bother me (it's telling me it
> needs something done).

If it goes away when you depress the clutch, then it can't be the pilot
bearing, and I wouldn't expect it to be the throwout bearing.

If the free play went away suddenly, then I'd worry that something might be
going bad in the clutch area (disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing.)

You could drain and replace the (GL-4) gear oil in the tranny just to reassure
yourself that it wasn't anything in there. Look for metal bits mixed in with
the exiting oil. Check the end play in the crank, by just watching the pulley
as someone depresses the clutch pedal. You can push the crank forward by hand
and then see if it moves back with the pedal. Just doing this by eye, any
movement should be too small to notice.