Re: [T3] My Type 3 Tach

<x-flowed>
On Oct 9, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Scott Taylor wrote:

Looks really good, John. Nice attention to detail. Did you have any problems with the relative positioning of the gauge mechanicals, needle, face, and Type 3 gauge body? No problems with the additional weight (I assume) of the new needle and center disk? I've been considering a similar project for my Type 34, using an old small-diameter 6V VDO tach from a BMW and a broken T34 clock as raw materials, and have been trying to think through the potential pitfalls. The hand-turned concave face is a good solution for matching the other gauge faces--hadn't thought of doing that. I agree that a simple pin stop to hold the needle at zero when at rest would be a nice thing.

I don't think it weighs much more than the original. I didn't weight them, but my needle and button are pretty light. Only the small diameter button that the needle is attached to turns. The large disk is glued to the number bezel.

The relative positions worked out ok, other than the new tach innards needing to stick out the back of the stock clock housing. I wish I had taken some "in progress" pictures.

Only thing I would do different is only putting the needle on one time at the end. I may have to redo my needle and button since I put it on and off several times during the construction to see how it fits and stuff. The shaft of the tach is only line 0.027" in diameter and has a small flat stamped into it. This provides the anti-rotation feature for the needle. I sort of wore out the small hole in the needle button and had a bit of a hard time getting the needle to sit in the right orientation in the end assembly. It is OK for now, but I will have to see how long it lasts on the bumpy roads.

Later,
John Jaranson
'66 Square (Sophy)
'70 Fasty (Jane 2 - Type 3 Lead Sled wannabe)
'71 Fasty (Jane -parts car due to rust)
various parts.....don't we all.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/jaransonT3/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/2006Invasion/