Re: [T3] T3 front end rebuild/ stinky car.

On 6 Oct 2005 at 11:44, Smith, Ethan Nicholas wrote:

> Does anyone know of a book or something explaining how to do a rebuild
> on the front-end of a type 3?  What all is generally replaced when doing
> this? My car feels "loose" and kinda "wobbly". Car has lots and lots of
> miles on it.

The main thing to keep in mind is that ALL of these parts are hard to get, so
it is pointless to just replace anything that seems suspicious. Each wear item
can be inspected and/or tested to see if it is worn out or still good. Study
the front end chapter in your Bentley manual until you understand what
everything does and how it affects the operation. Then check everything in turn
to see what, if anything, needs to be fixed or replaced.

There ARE a couple of trouble spots worth checking first:

1) Check the set screw that tightens the UL trailing arm to the upper torsion
bar. These tend to loosten up and cause problems.

2) Check the rubber bushing in the Pittman arm to make sure that there is no
play where the steering damper anchors there.

3) Check the adjustment of the wheel bearings. There should be play there, but
only minimal play.

> Also, my car stinks.  I have an exhaust smell all the time. Even when I
> have caped off my heater boxes.  Is there anything else it could be
> besides the exhaust gaskets/donut at each end of the heater boxes? This
> car has  smelled funny for years  even after replacing motors(it's on
> #4) and all exhaust gaskets. Could my heater boxes just be shot?

What do you mean by "caped off my heater boxes"? If there is no longer a hot
air hose running from them to the car, then the only route for exhaust into the
car is thru the rubber gasket around the rear door. Are your seals shot?

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org