[T3] addendum to vapor lock question

<x-flowed>After searching the archive and googling around, I think I found the answers to some of my questions re. vapor lock. Am I on the right track?

1) Vapor lock occurs at the fuel pump or before (i.e. on the input/inlet side) therefore the position of the output hoses from the pump to the carbs in relation to the engine block/heat sources is irrelevant... they can be long enough to lay on the block itself and don't need to be suspended/isolated (?)

2) A blockage in the lines/weak flow can cause the condition to occur, therefore I should check/clean the brass screen in the outlet tube under the gas tank (which I know as a fact has not been checked/cleaned since 1985--when I took over maint.--and perhaps as long as 1968 when my 'rents bought the car!). I will check it immediately, but I don't see how the car could run so strong/smooth at all other times if this filter was blocked up, and/or how the condition of a slightly blocked filter/line could relate to the vapor lock occurring only when the car was restarted warm if it had been running perfectly before it was shut off. In other words, if there was enough fuel coming through the lines to drive with no problem before the car was shut off, even with the post shut-off heating of the engine compartment, how could the blocked filter relate?

Any suggestions beyond checking/cleaning that filter would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have one of the "new style" (according to Haynes) fuel pumps, that Haynes shows being taken apart to check the internal filter, but does not explain/show how that section is removed. (neither does Bentley). Does the top section itself screw off, or are there screws/bolt(s) that hold it down from the underside that can only be accessed by removing the pump? I doubt this could be the culprit, but I don't think this filter has been cleaned in a decade at least.

I have about 1/2 tank of gas right now. Any slick suggestions for cleaning the filter without bathing in benzine?

Thanks!

Dave Y.