Re: [T3] FI Component Bench Testing

On 14 Nov 2005 at 13:31, Steven Cooper wrote:

> I am hoping to revert my fastback to FI.  I have a reasonable selection of
> FI components and was wondering if there is any way to bench test each
> component to weed out the faulty ones before installing them on the car?

Most of the parts will be fine, as is. There are very few problems
with most of them. The brains are almost always good, as are the '72-
3 pressure sensors. Injectors will probably be rusted up, and/or
leaky. Fuel pumps are also a problem if they have been stored dry.
I'd clean out (don't file) the distributor trigger points, and check
out the wiring harness for broken or weakened wires/connectors.

Resistance values for almost everything else are given in the
manuals. The AT aux. air regulator may be sticky, but you can power
it up and let it thermal cycle with some oil in it a few times and
this will usually free them up.

> I have a spare pair of the late model heads which have the breather vents in
> them which I plan to use.  I also have the late model breather box with the
> two 'valves'.  The car currently has the older one 'valve' breather.  Is
> there any advantage to using the later system, or should I just block off
> the vents in the heads and use the existing breather box?

You can go either way. The heads with the breathers reduce
condensation of moisture in the case in cold weather, so your climate
may help you choose.

If you use the breather with 2 valves, you MUST use the breather
heads and the intake air distributor with the bypass port on the
cover.