Re: [T3] FI fuel pump ordeal

On 11 Nov 2005 at 7:03, Tony Rongey wrote:

> OK.  You've got the rubber plug covered.  Now you need
> to fix up some piston sleeves for us.
>
> I've got two pumps where the plug looks fine, but the
> little piston doesn't seem to hold enough pressure to
> slide back in the bore so the valve never opens.  It
> looks like there's a press in sleeve there that could
> conceivably be replaced. I guess you'd also need to
> build us a tiny puller to remove the old sleeve ;)

You had posted about this sleeve earlier, so I looked for it when I
had mine apart. I didn't see any sleeve in mine. George Tunks, a
friend of Dave Hall in the UK, has studied these pumps and pointed
out to me that this piston is designed to leak, and necessarily so,
so it seems unlikely to me that a worn bore is your problem.

If I had to guess, I'd say that you've got your intermediate pump
plate assembled wrong. It can go together 8 different ways, but only
one of them works right.

> I put a tiny press-fit block in the nook at the end of
> the pressure channel.  It holds the piston open
> without blocking the flow.  The pump makes pressure,
> and relieves at about 60psi.  Of course the check
> valve function is completely eliminated.

I thought about doing exactly that, but was fortunate enough to be
able to make a replacement part.

> When you get things going I would be interested in a
> couple of plugs and caps.

I don't think I would be able to sell them that way, since I have to
do the final machining on the plug after it is pressed into the
piston. Virtually ALL the expense is in making the parts, and very
little in the assembly. If you wanted to send me your piston, I could
probably send you back a finished piston & plug, but the only
additional cost for letting me rebuild the whole pump would be
shipping both ways.

The brass caps are actually more involved to make, but not all pumps
would need them.

In the meantime, I need to buy some teflon and brass rod.