From: Constantino Tobio [mailto:ctobio@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 12:10 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Stretching valve stems?

Jim Adney wrote:

>At any rate, here's the question: Do valve stems sometimes actually
>stretch before they break?

I had always heard that a stretching #3 exhaust valve is a sure sign
that your vehicle is experiencing a chronic overheating problem. This is
why some folks actually track the amount of adjustment they need to
perform on their valves- as an indicator of cooling health among other
things. #3 and #4 (#3 in particular)  are in the more delicate side of
the cooling system owing to the location of the oil cooler, so they're
the canary in the coal mine, if you will.

It intrinsically makes sense to me that there would be forces at play
that would stretch the valve if the metal got hot enough. You have a
spring acting on the top of the valve stem, pulling the bottom of the
valve against the seat. The metal gets too hot, the stem could stretch.
In a properly functioning engine, this shouldn't be as pronounced, but
in an overheating engine, all bets are off. In my brain, I also envision
that as the valve stem gets longer and longer, it's getting thinner and
thinner (think stretching taffy, only not as tasty), and the metallurgy
is changing significantly and getting weaker. I would think that a valve
shouldn't break without warning (unless there's a metallurgical
problem)- the valve stem should indeed be stretching before that
happens. If you adjust the valves at the prescribed interval, you should
notice this.

I've actually heard this from people in the Type 1 world, especially on
pre-doghouse cooling shroud engines, but I see no reason why it wouldn't
apply to any aircooled engine of that heritage, including our T3s and
even T4s (presuming the oil cooler is in a similar location and the
cooling setup is the same)

Certainly I defer to people with a lot more experience than me- this is
just my opinion.