Re: [T3] Planning SB Resto (1970)

<x-flowed>BradF=> 1. Rebuild engine. It was running great two years ago when I parked it.

Then don't even open it up until you've determined that it *needs* rebuilding. Two years is not long at all.

=> Any recommendations on a carb kit that will fit under the engine lid?

Solex PDSITs, the stock setup, will work best, give you the least trouble with fitment, and be the least expensive as well. However, you're talking about a restoration, and your Fastback was probably US-spec and therefore came with fuel injection. Restoring this system will take about the same amount of work and expense as stock carbs, be right for your car and easier to deal with in the long term. This list is your best source of parts, in either case.

=> thinking of taking it to the paint shop with seals, windows, etc.
=> already removed. Will I get a discount for this?

The more prep work you do, the less you should pay. Just take care to do it right, because redoing wrong prep will cost you *more*.

=> How much should I expect to pay for paint?

Quality is proportional to cost. You get what you pay for, and it depends on where you live. Be aware that many shops are not interested in resto work at all. Simple collision work is much more profitable and less hassle. You'll want to look for a paint shop that understands VWs and single-stage paint.

=> Should I keep the roof rack?

Remove it for the paint job, absolutely. Then you'll be able to tell how much work it needs, and you can decide then whether to patch the holes in the roof.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KG1600