Re: Pan gasket (was:Re: Governor o-ring (was:Re: [T3] Passed test - good and bad news))

On 23 May 2005 at 16:16, Daniel Baum wrote:

> I drained the pan until only drops were coming out, and then removed the
> bolts. It needed a tiny bit of gentle persuasion with a screwdriver before
> it can off. When it came off - very suddenly - I discovered it was still
> full of ATF and it made another big mess (we actually do this for fun
> !!??!!).

;-)

> Anyway, the pan had quite a lot of dark sludge in it, and what looked like a
> small amount of metallic filings. Thankfully there were no big lumps of
> burnt brake band or whatever.

> Here is a picture of all the gory details of what I found inside:
>
> http://www.type34.info/temp/Inside%20tranny.jpg

That looks pretty normal. Do you have a photo of what you found in the pan?

> I cleaned the pan, but did not touch _anything_ else, except the sealing
> surface around the edge, which I had to scrape the remnants of the old
> gasket off of. The gasket came off in lots of pieces and seemed to be stuck
> to the tranny.
>
> There is always a show-stopper, and this time it's the strainer. As you may
> be able to see, it's torn, so I need a new one. I put the pan back on with
> just three bolts, finger-tight, to stop the dust getting in, and now I have
> to wait till I can get a new strainer. Then it should be straightforward to
> put it all together again. The new gasket seems to be a perfect fit.

I'm not sure that I can see the tear in the strainer. One of mine is torn
around the center screw, so I just used a slightly larger washer to cover it
up. I could imagine that there might be some kinds of sealant (RTV?) that you
could cover a tear with that would not dissolve in hot ATF.

BTW, don't be afraid to touch things, just touch them with clean fingers. I get
the impression that the things to be concerned about are grit and lint.

> PS. How can I get the ATF off my garage floor? My wife is going to go
> berzerk when she sees it  :~()

I'm sure that if you used her best blouse to clean out the pan, and made sure
she saw the dirty blouse first, this would completely distract her from the
stain on the garage floor.

OTOH, I can't say that I recommend this approach.    ;-)
--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org