Re: [T3] Passed test - good and bad news

<x-flowed windows-1255>>I don't think your screw driver could have hurt anything. You were
actually under the ring gear for the starter.
Torque converter seal is not that hard. You probably have all the tools
to do it. A floor jack, and basic hand wrenches. A couple stands to hold
the car up safely. A coat hanger to support the tranny while the engine
is out. You might have to improvise something to re-install the seal.

. . . .

If you decide to do it yourself, I can help talk you through it.

OK. Let's say I let myself get talked into doing the job myself. It's happened before. I really need to know what it involves before I get started. I can most likely get some help in taking the engine out etc.

- Is there any way to be completely sure what's leaking before I start? Or, once I've got everything apart, will it be obvious where the leak is coming from?

- I think I've got all the parts and tools I will need to do it, though I might need taller jack stands than the ones I have at the moment. I have a full gasket set for the tranny. I even have another torque converter. Apparently it originally came from a bus, would this be right for a Type 3? I will provide pics if necessary.

- Is there anything else I should do while it's apart? I've read that there is a seal between the tranny and the final drive which can also leak. Should I change this while I'm at it? I assume the tranny needs to come for this? Even so, I'd hate to do all the work and then find that it's still leaking. What about the engine oil seal?

Thanks,

Daniel

-

You have been down this long. a couple more weeks isn't going to hurt.
As for driving it, remember one thing, The worst thing you can do to one
of these trannies, is to run it low on fluid.
You might drive it on short trips and see how it does for fluid loss.
See if it heals itself. But don't drive it on extended trips. No farther
than you would want to pay a tow bill home. The seal could let go
completely at anytime, if that is what it is.
If you decide to do it yourself, I can help talk you through it.