[T3] short trip / AT working fine

We took a trip about 100 miles south of home this weekend to go to a
friend's wedding.  It was the first time I'd taken the rebuilt AT more
than about ten miles from home, or driven it at highway speeds for more
than a few minutes.

Seemed to go just fine, thankfully.  Here's a picture of the car, along
with a bogus windmill at Pea Soup Anderen's in Santa Nella, CA:

http://69squareback.nannynannybooboo.com/santa_nella.jpg

Regarding the recent thread about the lack of old VWs in France... one of
the wedding guests had flown in from Frankfurt, and had taken notice of my
car.  She said that she'd only ever seen two or three Type IIIs "in the
wild" in Germany.  Guess our cars are getting old and rare in Europe.

Also, more personal Type III trivia for me this weekend... I got a picture
of my first squareback's previous owner, together with the person from
whom she bought it -- they were both wedding guests as well.  I did the
pre-purchase inspection before they struck their deal back around 1989 or
1990.  Kind of a fun little reunion of sorts for me.

Anyway, the AT rebuild from Ron's Transaxles seems to be doing well.  I'll
be sure to get in some more 100+ mile trips under my belt well before
heading up to Myrtle Creek next year.  Can't wait!

Oooh, also, we all have our closet darkside... I recently installed a
stereo-mini-plug-to-antenna adapter that I bought around the late 1980s so
that I could plug in an iPod for road tripping.  (Originally intended for
cassette Walkmans or portable CD players.)  Worked great!  Instead of the
modern iTrip devices which try to broadcast wirelessly, this old gizmo
actually has an in-line antenna connection to the radio, and broadcasts FM
over the antenna wire directly.  It was great to be able to listen to our
tunes of preference for the whole trip, instead of station-fishing across
the dial as we drove through the central valley.

-Greg