Re: [T3] Today's work

<x-flowed>>
Daniel,

Looks like you read the post about dropped screws. I put paper towels in the
intake ports, too. ;-)

I've always done that. The alternative is to horrible to contemplate . . . I had a bit of a shock when I took off the crankcase breather last week and saw just how big a hole it opens into the case.

It looks like you made a very nice flap return spring. I'm not sure, but it
looks like the fixed end of your thermostat spring has just been bent around
the little bent tab on top of the bell crank mechanism.

I was wondering about that. Thanks for letting me know. I went out and fixed it:

http://www.type34.info/temp/Thermostat%20spring.jpg

The tip of the spring broke off twice while I was bending it, so it pulls a bit harder now :~)

I liked your "flywheel lock." ;-)

Me too. I messed around under the car for ages trying to get the screwdriver to actually jam the torque converter, and then realised that I could put it in there. I could watch it while I worked, just in case there was any sign of something bending or breaking.

I'm surprised that 100 lb-ft bent that 3/8" extension, but 1/2" is certainly
more appropriate there. Once my sockets get that big, they are 3/4" drive, but
I still use an adaptor and 1/2" hardware with them. Is there a brand name on
that extension?

No. I remember now that I got it with a cheapo spark plug wrench. The adapter is branded "Ace", and I can't get it off the extension, so it looks like it's history.

Re: the stenciled numbers on your fan shroud. Did you add those? They look new
and I'm surprised to see the 34 there. Were the 34 engines any different from
the "normal" type 3 engines? The M 249 is the AT, of course.

I painted them on, but when I cleaned it up before painting it I could still see the originals under the dirt. There was another line of text too, but I couldn't read it. There was what looked like ..EA... , but that was all I could read.

It's all so CLEAN!

Well, I had to do something while waiting for those parts. . .

Daniel